The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 is what we considered at the time the best tablet of 2017. He arrived in Europe in May of last year and convinced us with his Snapdragon 820, 4GB of RAM, 6,000 mAh and fast charging, with the classic LTE and WiFi versions. Yes, it came with Android 7.0 Nougat.
As we announced in February, the Galaxy Tab S3 was preparing to receive an update of the operating system along with other Samsung devices that were in the queue. Finally, this update has arrived.
How to update the Tab S3 to Android Oreo
Good news for all the owners of a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, who see that next to the security patch of April comes an update to Android 8.0 Oreo under the code T820XXU1BRE2. Some British users have started receiving the update today, so it is expected to reach the rest of the countries over the coming weeks.
Of course, you do not need to manually search the application: it comes through OTA, so it only requires going to ‘Settings‘, in the Software Update section and, there, touching ‘Download updates manually‘.
What’s new in Android 8.0 on the Galaxy Tab S3
As usual, the update to Android 8.0 Oreo does not come alone: it is accompanied by the evolution of the Samsung Experience (version 9.0) as we have seen in the Galaxy S8 devices and the Galaxy Note 8. These developments are summarized in:
- A new keyboard, reorganized to facilitate access and adapt it to large screens in which two hands are required, with up to 4 different themes and simplified settings.
- An application cloner called Dual Messenger, to use multiple accounts for the same application.
- Samsung Connect introduces automation that detects when you get home and other parameters to activate certain devices connected to the network when you get home, for example.
- An improved search bar that offers the most appropriate content to the usual needs of users.
- Improvements of the Bixby assistant, both in integration as well as with functions.
- When Samsung introduced Android 8.0 to its first devices, it made a complete infographic to explain the main novelties that it also introduced in its Samsung Experience 9.0 customization layer.